The synagogue in Hamm was built in 1894 in the street Kirchberg 1 (today's synagogue square). During the November pogroms in 1938, the interior was devastated and the synagogue set on fire. In 1945, the remains of the ruin were demolished.
The synagogue square in Hamm (Sieg)
There had been a Jewish community in Hamm since the 17th century. In 1938, the SA burned down the synagogue during the Reichsprogromnacht and deported the last Jews to the concentration camps Buchenwald andDachau. In addition to the former Jewish cemetery, which has been a listed building since 1985, the local community of Hamm commemorates the murdered Jewish citizens with the KulturHausHamm on the newly designed Synagogenplatz. The renovated old building is the former residential building of the Jewish David family, located in the immediate vicinity of the destroyed synagogue, whose ground plan is simplified by the offset paving. During excavations, the remains of a medieval Jewish bath were also discovered and uncovered.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Contact and directions
Scheidter Str. 11-13
57577 Hamm (Sieg)