Daaden

Museum of local history of the Daaden region

Brief description

"Hahnenengel"? "Hauberg"? Both terms are familiar to everyone in the Daaden region. Would you like to learn more about them? Then learn more about the Daadener Land in the local history museum.


Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Price information

Admission is free of charge.


Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Detailed description

The local history museum of Daadener Land, whose beginnings date back to 1921, is housed on the upper floor of the "Old Post Office" in the centre of Daaden. Built in 1671 as the official residence of the count's administrator, this historic building with its characteristic round tower, which later housed the local post office for almost 80 years, was extensively renovated in 1979/80 and merged with the newly built town house to form a structural unit.

On one hand, the museum keeps the history and tradition of the Daaden region alive. For example, it recalls the old court system, mining and church history. On the other hand, the simple life of earlier generations is also presented. Photos, tools and furnishings bear witness to agriculture, the Hauberg, schools, crafts and the home. Various history panels provide an insight into the history of the DaadenerLand. In addition to the permanent exhibits, the museum also holds special exhibitions on certain themes, events or personalities. A permanent art exhibition can also be visited in the foyer of the community centre.

Mining and metallurgy
The Daaden region has been characterised by mining for centuries. The first traces of ore extraction and smelting date back to the time between 500 and 100 B.C. It was mainly copper and iron ores that were mined and smelted on site. The mines and smelters as well as the quarries and sand pits provided work and bread for many fathers. When the largest iron ore mine in the Siegerland region, the Füsseberg mine in Biersdorf, was closed in March 1965, the long tradition of ore mining in the Daaden region came to an end. Tools, equipment and uniforms of the miners, but also photos and minerals as well as a model of a winding tower with an underground display keep the memory of mining alive.

Church history
The first church was built in Daaden around the middle of the 12th century; since then, at the latest, the town has also been the centre of the parish of the same name. Various exhibits recall church-historical events and the present church, built between 1722 and 1724, is one of the largest and most beautiful Baroque creations in the Westerwald. Most interesting, however, is the weather figurine from the tower of the Daaden church dating from 1731, the so-called "cock angel". You can find out why the golden angel is called that when you visit the local history museum.

Hauberg
The local form of forest management, the Hauberg, is a special feature that has persisted to the present day. This consists of coppice forest, which has grown out of the growth of stumps. However, the Hauberg was not only a source of wood. Oak bark was processed into tanbark, grain was sown and harvested in the felled Hauberg, and cattle also found their food here for one or two years. Various tools and pictures illustrate what work in the Hauberg used to be like.

Skiing pioneer Siegfried Koch
At the beginning of the 20th century, Siegfried Koch from Neuwied discovered the area around the Stegskopf as an ideal winter sports area and made the still young sport of skiing known here. The Stegskopf became one of the best-known skiing areas in western Germany. In addition to other exhibits, the first pair of skis belonging to the enthusiastic winter sportsman can be seen in the local museum. The world-famous song "O du schöner Westerwald" was written in 1932 in the Siegfriedhütte built on the Stegskopf and named after Koch.

Art exhibition in the foyer
Artists from the municipality of Daaden permanently exhibit their works in the foyer of the community centre under the title "Abstractions and Objects" with changing exhibits.


Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Contact and directions

Im Schützenhof 10
57567 Daaden