Katholische Pfarrkirche Christkönig Westerburg

Detailed description

The foundation stone of the Christkönig-Kirche was laid on the 1st Sunday in Advent (3 December) in 1961, and the topping-out ceremony was celebrated on 28 September 1962. The consecration took place by auxiliary bishop Kampe on August 25, 1963. Since 2016 it is the parish church of the newly founded parish Liebfrauen Westerburg.
After the ascent to the Kirchberg and over 18 steps to the church the first view falls on the natural stone faced reinforced concrete tower (30 meters high). The church itself stands out due to its enormous concrete honeycomb rear wall. This is practically the only light source, completely without coloured glass. It symbolizes the openness of the building towards the city.

At the same time, it is seen as an ecumenical window, especially since it sends a greeting from Christ the King to the Schlossberg, the Westerburg and the Protestant castle church, and is thus an unmissable signal for Christian unity.

Worth seeing is the throne Madonna, lime wood, around 1350, Cologne school. Her natural grace is enchanting. It is on loan from the Liebfrauen pilgrimage church 1.5 km away. She has her place on and surrounded by solid marble.

Before its restoration, the wooden figure was coloured, Mary and Jesus wore brass crowns, as old pictures show.

Tip: The Three-Church-Walk - Castle Church, Christ King, Liebfrauen - is newly signposted. More information: www.waellerland.de

(Translated from DeepL.)

Contact and directions

Jahnstraße 3a
56457 Westerburg