Hessian State Stud Dillenburg

Founded in 1869, the stud has a chequered history that can be traced back to the 16th century. The premises initially served as the stables and royal stud of the Princes of Orange-Nassau. Horses were bred here for many years and breeders were offered stallions with valuable bloodlines. Today, the stud focuses on training horse breeders as well as teaching classic riding and driving techniques. The trainer qualifications in particular enjoy an outstanding reputation both within Hesse and beyond. The stud farm is of great cultural interest and a city landmark. It preserves a centuries-old tradition and the flair of a bygone era. The orangery, originally built in 1719, recently underwent extensive renovations and will in future act as an event venue. The late-Baroque ‘Prinzenhaus’ (‘Prince’s House’) derives its name from Prince William V. of Orange.

DID YOU KNOW?

The Baroque ‘Prince’s Hall’ on the first floor of the administrative building (known as the ‘Prinzenhaus’) can be used as a wedding venue and conference room.

Brief description

The Hessian State Stud Dillenburg is a cultural and historical facility in the Lahn-Dill district. The facility is used by the State Riding and Driving School Dillenburg and a carriage museum. The Hessian State Riding and Driving School is a centre of attraction for people interested in riding and driving from all over the world.

Opening hours

Individuals or small groups can take a tour of the State Stud without prior appointment and free of charge.

Contact and directions