Früherer Tiergarten

Detailed description

At the beginning of the 16th century, a small zoo was created at the foot of the castle hill and subsequently greatly expanded. Wild animals were released and the area was fenced in. Thus the area was an ideal hunting ground for the Electors and Archbishops of Trier, who owned Montabaur Castle. Later the zoo became the "Stuterei" Montabaur and was used for horse breeding. After this was also over, the first residential buildings were built on the grounds in 1898; street names such as Tiergartenstraße or Fürstenweg still bear witness to the electoral past.

Translated with

Brief description

Area with an electoral past. Translated with

Contact and directions

56410 Montabaur