Detailed description

The first written mention of "Froudesbrahderofanc" (Bifang of Freusburg) was in 1048. It is estimated that the actual castle was built around 1100. The castle was first mentioned by name in 1247 in connection with a division of an inheritance. In the following period, the Freusburg was repeatedly expanded and partially demolished.
It appears that the castle was built as a guardian over the Sieg. It is clearly visible from a distance on the mountain spur, which slopes steeply towards Sieg on three sides. The castle has had many owners throughout its history. These include the Counts of Sayn, the Prussian forestry treasury, etc. During the Thirty Years' War there were particularly many changes of ownership. Since 1927, the Freusburg has belonged to the German Youth Hostel Association, Landesverband Westfalen-Lippe e.V.. Just as the owners, the types of use also changed.
In addition to its function as a residence, Freusburg was also the seat of the court, administrative headquarters, forester's apartment, military training camp, Reich Labor Service camp, reserve hospital, etc. Today Freusburg is a youth hostel. On October 23, 1986, the youth hostel was reopened by the then Federal President Richard von Weizsäcker after conversion and renovation work. Extensive renovation and beautification work took place in the winter of 2008/2009. There are around 200 beds available. In addition to the guest rooms, there are rooms for the carers. Conferences, choir and orchestra rehearsals with up to 80 people can also take place in the various rooms in Freusburg. Around 30,000 overnight stays are recorded every year. Freusburg has the quality award “Bicycle-Friendly Guest House”. You can find out more about accommodation options, free beds and prices directly on the youth hostel's website.

Along with 76 other places or villages in Rhineland-Palatinate, Freusburg can also be found in the book "Hierzuland" by SWR television. In addition to beautiful pictures, there is also further information about the town and Freusburg Castle.

Brief description

Freusburg Castle acts as a watchman over the Siegtal and is now a youth hostel. With its spacious and well-equipped rooms it is also very suitable for large groups. The castle was first mentioned in 1247. 

Contact and directions

Burgstraße 46
57548 Kirchen-Freusburg