Schloss Friedewald

Detailed description

The castle in Friedewald (main building) was built around 1580 by Count Heinrich IV zu Sayn. The façade facing the courtyard is in late Renaissance style. By the end of the 18th/beginning of the 19th century, the building had already fallen into serious disrepair, but was restored and completely renovated between 1885 and 1895. Shortly before the First World War, additional outbuildings were erected by Prince Otto von Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, who acquired the castle in 1912. The castle moat was filled by a specially constructed water pipe. In 1933, large parts of the interior furnishings were then auctioned off.

Between the world wars and during the Second World War, the castle was used for various purposes. In 1954, Friedewald Castle was purchased by the Protestant Social Academy as a conference and training centre. It is the only institution of its kind in the Protestant Church in Germany.

The castle complex is framed by a 5ha English-style park. Most of the trees used in the planting were imported from abroad. These trees include American copper beeches and several 120-year-old sequoias. The park cleverly exploits the differences in elevation of the terrain and offers surprising vantage points time and again. A rose garden is integrated into the park.

The castle complex is rectangular in shape. The street-side east wing with the onion dome tower and the south wing date from the 16th and 17th centuries. The upper storey of the east wing and the entire north wing were built in 1913-14. The imperial double-headed eagle still spreads its wings protectively over the entrance gate to Friedewald Castle. Numerous detailed works carved into the heavy bastalt stones can be admired on the walls. Particular examples are the Hercules motif (Hercules with the pillars and Hercules taming the boar), the coats of arms of Count Heinrich and his wife Jutta vonMallingkrodt, the lion and grimace faces and the figures in the shell niches representing (from left to right) the five cardinal virtues of wisdom, justice, truth, temperance and strength.

Today the castle is privately owned and can only be visited by appointment. In the park of the castle you will find the sales exhibition of the interior design company ARTE FRESCA (opening hours: Tue-Fri 2-6pm, Sat 11am-4pm or by telephone arrangement).

Brief description

Friedewald Castle - The centre of the community of the same name is enthroned with a magnificent Renaissance façade in the idyllic greenery of the Westerwald.

Contact and directions